United Way of Brevard will offer free tax preparation for residents who haven’t filed returns for previous years from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 29, at the Fellowship Hall of Salvation Army-Melbourne, 1080 S. Hickory St.
The event is being called Better Late Than Never Day.
Free lunches for children will be served throughout Brevard County as part of Florida’s Summer BreakSpot and United Way of Brevard’s Feed and Read.
Click here for BreakSpot and here for Feed and Read.
Winners were announced Friday (May 1) for the Health First Stars of the Space Coast Awards, presented by 2-1-1 Brevard to recognize the “stellar” work of local nonprofits.
- Brevard Schools Foundation for the Health First Supernova Award, recognizing a nonprofit for magnifying impact.
- Brevard Achievement Center for the Central Florida Hand Center Lodestar Award, recognizing a nonprofit board for leadership.
- Susan Thomas of Rolling Readers for the All Pro Garage Doors Superstar Award, recognizing an employee of a nonprofit for exceptional work.
- And Nana’s House for the Grimaldi Candies Community Star Award, which was determined by online voting.
Do you have diabetes? Are you at risk for diabetes? If have high blood pressure or are overweight or if you have a family member with diabetes, you could be at risk.
As part of a partnership with the Florida Department of Health, 2-1-1 Brevard and other 2-1-1’s in the state are emphasizing programs that can help.
Dial 2-1-1 for more information about diabetes prevention, treatment and support.
Finalists have been named for the Grimaldi Candies Community Star Award as the result of online voting. They are: Brevard Achievement Center, Family Promise of Brevard and Nana’s House.
The winner of this award and three others will be announced during the Health First Stars of Space Coast Awards to honor the “stellar work” of nonprofits, which will be presented May 1 by 2-1-1 Brevard.
Other award nominees are:
- Brevard Schools Foundation, Central Brevard Sharing Center and The Haven for Children for the Health First Supernova Award.
- Brevard Achievement Center and Coalition for the Hungry and Homeless for the Central Florida Hand Center Lodestar Award.
- Linda Ahearn of Catholic Charities, Patricia Nellius of Brevard Family Partnership and Susan Thomas of Rolling Readers for the All Pro Garage Doors Superstar Award.
Tickets are available online for $35 each for the May 1 event at Exploration Tower. (Heavy hors d’oeuvres will be served, beginning at 11:30 a.m.) Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to pay by check.